Friday, March 30, 2007

March 30th, Day 30 ~ The First Free Kindergarten in the US

This is The Poppenhusen Institute, it's home to the first free kindergarten in the United States. My mom lives a few blocks away so I walked down with the kids and took some pictures. It's the same place where we had Kristyna's baptism in the Old Ball room. It's very beautiful. Some day I will go inside and share some pictures of everything with you, maybe I'll find out when they do the tours. The Poppenhusen Institute was named after Conrad Poppenhusen, one of the founders of College Point. He was a settler. The building was built in 1866. It had a sherriff's office and housed the justice of the peace as well as two jail cells. It also had the first free classroom in the United States in which later helped build the school systems we have today.









Shea Stadium at a Distance at the docks behind The Poppenhusen Institute.

3 comments:

Holly said...

what a pretty building. I love the key hole windows on the side.

Anonymous said...

Diese Fotografischaktion ist eine gute Idee!:) Tschüß!

Maggie said...

I love old buildings. Cool.